Thursday, November 15, 2007

Mud season has arrived

We are not quite at the "suck your boots off" stage of mud season but it's getting close! It was a rainy afternoon which made it dark at the barn by 4:15. Consequently, I decided to not take Curly's boot off - with my luck I wouldn't be able to get it back on so tightly and it would then come off in the next day. So I left good-enough alone and we mucked stalls instead.

I think Curly must be feeling a bit better today because he hadn't pooped in his stall - usually a sign that he's comfortable enough to walk outside to do his business. I've been using the "Where did Curly poop?" barometer to assess his pain level a lot lately. Go ahead, laugh, but when the patient can't actually tell you where it hurts and how much, you use anything you can to figure this stuff out! I noticed early on that he only seemed to poop in his stall right after (or right before we discovered) an injury.

Q, on the other hand, regularly poops in his stall, which is why we mucked out today. I hate to see the poor guy surrounded by all the yuck. You'd think they'd think it was yucky too and change their habits....

E. and I want to train Curly to poop into a wheelbarrow. :-) I'm not betting that we'll ever accomplish that, though!

No comments: