Monday, August 4, 2008

Curly's still limping...

Poor E! (Wait, maybe I should be saying poor Curly! Does seem a bit insensitive to ignore his physical pain in favor of E's disappointment.) Anyway, Curly is still injured so E had to miss out on a club trail ride Saturday.

We hauled in 2 tons of hay this past week. Only three more to go! Hubby M and I are getting quite skilled at loading and unloading those heavy bales. Hay prices are going up and I'm worried that our supplier will sell out soon, so we will bring in the rest of the bales before the end of the month. Unfortunately, there is only enough room out at the barn to store four tons, so one ton will have to be sheltered on our carport at the house. Wonder what the neighbors will think when they see 22 bales stacked to the eaves???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to advise your insurance co when you have stored the hay under the carport!!

Anonymous said...

Further to my previous comment, you would be better to stack it out in your yard, under a plastic "haystack cover", well away from anything flammable.
Ever heard of "spontaneous combustion"? SKP OZ

Our Horse Curly said...

Good advice. We live in a fairly arid climate so hay stacks rarely burst into flame here. The wetter the hay, the higher the risk. Additionally, the hay we are purchasing has been stored for about 4 weeks already. The risk of fire is greatest during the first week after baling.

Our Horse Curly said...

I just figured out that SKP is my Aussie friend. :-)

Addendum to my comment/your comments...I wish I had a yard big enough to store my hay in. No matter where we put the stuff, there's something flammable within reach. The joys of living in town....

Pony Girl said...

Glad you had a good vacation! Sorry to hear Curly is lame. Do you know how he pulled the ligament? Has a vet looked at it? I hope he's on the mend soon. Obviously he's not a happy camper if he bucked off E several times. I hope she's okay!
I wish I could get more hay. I only buy 8 or 10 bales at a time, since I supply separate hay for my horse and he's at my sister's, their storage is obviously maxed out by their own hay.