Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Dr. Mom

After doing some research, I am wondering if perhaps Curly just had a bad case of thrush that infected his frog, causing it to fall off. Part of his run stays wet a lot of the year and he has also developed a nasty habit of pooping in his stall and then standing in the mess - both things that encourage poor hoof health. We have been battling what I thought was a minor case of thrush recently. My second guess is that there is still a bit of infection left in the hoof from that nasty abscess last year.

So we are now going out to the barn on a daily basis to clean Curly's back hoof, rinsing it with either bleach water or an idodine solution and mucking out his stall. I am hoping that by keeping everything as clean as possible we can take care of any infection that may be lurking in that hoof.

Curly was a little worried looking when he saw us walk up yesterday with the blue bucket and some towels. I'm sure he remembers the not-so-pleasant doctoring from last fall/winter! Hopefully this go-round will be less traumatic.

I'm calling the vet today to get his take on it all as well.

No comments: