Thursday, April 2, 2009

And the winner is....

Monty!



We drove out to Benton City again yesterday morning and made the decision to buy Monty. I'm really excited....and a little nervous. It never fails that as soon as I make a big money decision, I begin to second guess myself. :-)

We took our own tack out this time, to see how Monty would do with a little different setup. It was his first experience with a back cinch, plus E's saddle has a couple of long leather tie-downs on the back D-rings that hang over the horse's back flanks, tickling them when they move. The bit we use (a Myler) is a little different, as well. Monty handled all of these changes without even blinking. He was as calm and attentive as he had been on Monday - and we were sold!

I still have to go out one more time to pick him up. Not sure which day that will be yet. And we will trailer out there at least a few times over the next several months for lessons. Ruben really wants to be sure that this relationship goes smoothly. He's been a great teacher so far and I look forward to spending more time under his tutelage.

Oh, and officially, Monty is an Arab-pinto, not a paint. He's registered in the PtHA. Not that I really care....

So, wow, we bought a horse!

I'm kinda in shock....

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Showy!

Pony Girl said...

Congrats! He's lovely! What fun, horse shopping and testing them out. I missed out on that w/My Boy's purchase, since I leased him first (and wasn't so picky on the lease, since it was supposed to be just a lease, LOL!)
My sister has a Paint/Arab mare that is actually registered PtHA, too!

mekanamom said...

Congrats!

I had actually been wondering if he was an Arab/Paint cross, or a pinto Arab. LOL.

All the pinto terminology is enough to make my head spin! Pinto, overo, tobiano, piebald, skewbald...

It **looks** like Monty is a piebald tobiano pinto (with nice chrome on his face!); my mustang is a skewbald overo pinto. (Sorrel and white.)

E's got a cute pony!!! So glad you guys found what you were looking for!