Sunday, March 7, 2010

A hole in my heart....

I'm still a little weepy - and am dreading going out to the barn today. I didn't realize how hard this would be for me.

So, briefly, here's a recount of Curly's last couple of days.

After the vet opened up the abscess on his hoof, Curly was walking fairly well, putting weight on all four hooves. She was optimistic that all would go well. On Friday morning, however, he had developed a problem with the other hind hoof and was back to being 3-legged. Another abscess was suspected.

After talking about Curly's history of recurring abscesses, his general health issues and then taking a hard look at his poor hoof conformation, she recommended that we not go any further with treatment. The vet's exact words were, "If this were my horse, I would put him down today." So hard to hear, but I am thankful for her truthfulness and willingness to offer her advice even if it's not what the owner might want do.

Curly was in extreme pain - even while on meds - and was very agitated. So I decided to follow her advice. (I learned this afternoon that after I left him on Friday morning he laid down and spent most of the day this way. This helps me know that I did indeed make the right choice.)

Our barn owners graciously offered to take care of the details for me. Curly was euthanized in their trailer and then taken up to the mountains to be buried. I am very grateful to have wonderful people like this in my life.

And I am very grateful to have had Curly in my life as my first horse.

He is missed.

E hugging Curly....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry - that really hurts - but you stepped up and did what was needed to relieve his pain, which takes courage.

Our Horse Curly said...

Thanks Kate. I am so touched by the support that has come our way the last few days....