Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tiny saddles

I rode today. For the first time in over a year. And, boy, was I scared!

Let me elaborate.....

Another boarder at our barn owns several horses that are currently just sitting in the pastures. His children aren't currently using them so the horses are really living on easy street. I approached him about possibly leasing one of them (horse, not child!) and he thought it would be a great idea.

So today was my first trial ride on Badger, the 18 year old quarter horse. Badger is a generally sweet guy, is supposedly well versed in trail riding and prefers to go at a slower pace. Sounds perfect for me, doesn't it?

I was warned that he will try to test a new rider, making steering and just plain forward motion difficult, but that once the rider shows who's in control, Badger will buckle down and do what is asked. Okay. I can do this.

Upon arrival at the barn this morning, I discovered that the western saddle we currently have available (remember, R is using the good one at camp) does not fit Badger. Alrighty, then. E and I saddle him up with her English saddle.

E rides first and says that yeah, this is the horse for you mom - meaning, he doesn't want to go faster than a toe-dragging walk. Badger does try to take her out of the round pen at one point and she has a bit of a struggle keeping him going in the right direction, but they get it worked out.

So, it's now my turn. First challenge - this guy is tall! Taller than Curly, anyway. And I have no strength in my legs to hoist my fat butt up there. So we walk over to a mounting block and on I get. Did I mention the English saddle? Well, it's tiny. At least, it feels tiny compared to the huge ol' Western ones I'm used to. And I've never sat in an English saddle before. So there I am, riding for the first time in over a year on an unfamiliar horse, in a saddle I've never used, with weak legs and suddenly I'm scared. There is nothing holding me on there - no horn to grab, no comforting seat cradling me, nothing.

But I don't let on how scared I am....I just squeeze....no motion....okay, I kick his sides, and forward we go. And true to his nature, Badger starts his toe-dragging walk. He is very quick to halt when asked. Steering turns out to be bit of a problem for me. I kept forgetting that there is no neck-reining in English but other than one moment when Badger tries to run me against the gate (E gamely gets between the gate and my leg, saving my knees from scrapes and bruises), we manage okay.

So, I think Badger and I could get along. We still have to work out who is boss....and I definitely want a Western saddle. It was so strange being perched up on that little saddle, able to feel the movement of the horse so much more fully (and alarmingly!). Eventually, I think I want to learn to ride English. But for right now, I just want to get my courage back. And maybe Badger is the horse to help me do that.

1 comment:

Mustang Challenge said...

I have totally given up on English. I will leave that to the youngin's. I can't wait for us to go on a trail ride together.