Sunday, March 6, 2011

Finally spring?

This weekend totally feels like spring - 30s at night, 40s to 50s during the day. And sunshine! That's the best part, having sun shining on your shoulders until well after 5:00 p.m..

I didn't plan on riding today but when I got out to the barn this morning it was just too nice to not pull Zoe out and at least groom her. And if I'm going to groom her, well I might as well as lunge her...and if I'm going to lunge her I might as well saddle her up and get on!

Really, she was just so cooperative and sweet that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to hop on for a short ride. I think the high strung, spooky horse I've been experiencing the past month or so must have been the result of her cycling into heat combined with a bit of windy, variable weather. Today she calmly waited for me to put on her halter, was attentive while we walked, and even lowered her head for me during bridling. What a good pony!

E also took a short turn on her and managed to make Zoe sweat a bit. Zoe is in much better shape, though, and was able to maintain a canter for a longer period of time. She's not quite as flabby when she runs past now. :)

Zoe did give a little buck when E cantered in the left lead. Nothing major - I'm sure even I could have sat it. E says you can totally feel Zoe rounding her back just before she tries to buck, so you have plenty of warning. We think she might be a little bit sore and was complaining about the cantering. Just a guess though.....

Lots of Pony Club happenings these days. I'm coordinating our region's Quiz rally, which will be taking place next weekend. Looking forward to the event - and to its conclusion! :) I also joined Horsemasters, the adult version of Pony Club. I'm totally looking forward to riding on a regular basis with other adults. We'll start taking Sunday lessons along with the kiddos in a couple of weeks.

No comments: