Saturday, August 17, 2013

Monte On My Mind

Monte has changed hands again.  And I think he is now with the family I was trying to find when I originally decided he needed a new home.  During the year we had him up for sale I talked many potential buyers out of even coming to look at him because I just knew they were too inexperienced for our little guy.

Turns out I probably should have done the same with the last family as well....Monte's new little girl took a bad fall off of him (he spooked) and ended up needing pins in her elbow.  I feel terrible that she was injured and understand why she is now afraid to ride him.

Luckily, her mom found a new home for him rather quickly and the new owner is a very experienced rider.  Laurie's been riding him almost daily out on the trails, taking him up and down steep hills, into water and through all sorts of new terrain.  He still spooks occasionally, but he's doing it.  And best of all, she really likes the little guy.  She's called him a "diamond in the rough."  It seems Monte finally has a steady job!

~~~

I had a nice, long ride on Zoe yesterday with some friends.  It was wonderful to just walk along and chat for a couple of hours on the lake trails.  Zoe did great and only had a couple of tiny spooks (Turns out she thinks one of the bridges across the creek is evil - and we were just riding past it, not over it!).

I wish I were able to get out on my horse more often (a familiar song, I know!), and one day schooling and work will settle down enough so that I'll actually have the time to do just that.  Until then, I'm sure Zoe is quite happy spending her days eating, eating, eating.  :)

No comments: