Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Adventure begins...

We actually took the first step towards horse ownership today. We will be leasing and evaluating Curly, an Appaloosa gelding, for the next week. He is now safely housed at the horse barn and acclimating himself to his new surroundings.

His first challenge was to get used to an actual stall - it looked like a big scary cave to him, I'm sure! Emily walked with him all over the property, brushed him and just generally tried to make him comfortable for about an hour. We came back after dinner and saw that he hadn't eaten so I coaxed him back into the scary stall and showed him that it really is okay to stick your head into the hay bin. The poor guy was pretty hungry and gobbled half his food down in just minutes.

The adventure was further enhanced when I discovered that I had locked my keys in the car....and no one was home at the barn! After waiting for 30 minutes, Emily and I walked down the road to a neighbor's house. The neighbor kindly offered me a gin and tonic along with the phone.

I think Matt is seriously wondering what we might be getting ourselves into.....

No comments: