Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Testing

Since hubby M. is on spring break, I got to go out to the horse barn solo yesterday afternoon. It was so relaxing to go and do what I needed and wanted without having to divide my attention between the task I was doing and the need to be aware of where the children were. (Shh! Don't tell my kids I had such a good time without them!) :-)

I spent a good 40 minutes with Zane in the arena, practicing turns, stops and just plain ol' control. Our "honeymoon" phase is definitely over! He continually tested me to see if I would truly make him do as I asked. I let him go into a trot (which he would prefer over the walk I have been forcing him to keep to) and I now understand what others have meant when they said that he is really bouncy and fast! I felt like I was being pounded to death for a minute or two! And his forward movement is very speedy - and a little unnerving if you're not used to it. But I did get more used to it and was able to make him listen to my directions even while at a trot.

Coach A. has suggested that I ride him 3 more times and then get back up on Q to compare the two rides. I'm sure that will give me a much better idea if Zane is the horse for me......

As of this moment, I'm not so sure he is.....

I ride again on Wednesday.

No comments: