Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Trying out new skills...

Yesterday E had her first go at implementing some of her new-found knowledge. She was very excited to try out some of Anderson's "Groundwork for Respect" exercises. Before taking Curly into the round pen we both were thinking that he would probably be a little slow at understanding the requests, but he totally surprised both of us and was pretty good at figuring out what he was supposed to do in each situation. I guess I'll have to stop saying that he's not the brightest of horses!

She was also surprised when she tried flexing him while on the ground. He easily reached his head back, making (and keeping) slack on the lead rope almost instantly. What a good boy! I had anticipated a training session that would take at least an hour - but they were done in about 20 minutes.

E did find it difficult to manage Clinton Anderson's special "stick" (generously loaned by a friend) and the lead rope at the same time. I think it will take some practice before she gets the hang of it....plus I think it would be good if she can find a way to exert pressure without the use of the stick. I must admit that it kind of irks me that his exercises are built around the use of a tool that "you too can own for the low, low price of $65!" But I guess a guy's gotta earn a living somehow.

And I also have to admit that I really do secretly like all the special tools...but also have a perverse need to resist buying any - which is how I am about all those wonderful kitchen gadgets I lust after at great stores like William and Sonoma!

1 comment:

Pony Girl said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I always enjoy discovering new ones.
My cousins saw Clinton Anderson last week, too (they live in Eastern Washington.) My cousin used some of his trailer loading techniques with her gelding w/great success. I had to laugh at your mention of the $65 stick...I had a similar reaction when I attended a Parelli event last May, but I bought the whole kit-n-caboodle anyway (and I love it.)
I will have to do some catch-up reading on Curly, I am particularly interested in his headshaking as my horse as exhibited that behavior a little in the past few months.