Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pasture pests


Curly and Monte are spending quite a bit of time out in their little pasture these days - Curly almost full time and Monte most nights. The back edge of the field is bordered by a river...very beautiful to look at but also the source of many mosquitoes. And poor Curly seems to be the meal of choice for those little bloodsuckers! I have to be pretty religious about spraying him these days; I missed a few days a week ago and found him covered in mosquito bites. Sure hope the West Nile shot he got this spring keeps him protected.

Monte, strangely enough, does not seem to be bothered by the mosquitoes. And flies appear to leave him alone for the most part as well.

Yesterday evening, as I was standing at the pasture fence watching the boys graze, five large wild turkeys decided to cross through the field. Neither horse even looked up from their eating even though these big birds were within 10 feet of them. I think this is a clear sign that Monte is fully settled in at the barn now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think pigeon fever has returned to the barn. Andy has a two suspcious spots and one of the other horses has a VERY swollen sheath. I am hoping I am not right. :-(

Anonymous said...

I think pigeon fever has returned to the barn. Andy has a two suspcious spots and one of the other horses has a VERY swollen sheath. I am hoping I am not right. :-(