Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Barn Project

I think that's what I'm becoming - the "barn project." :)

E had a jumping lesson last night, so I pulled Zoe out for some halter work. Another parent at the barn, L, stops me and declares that I need to ride and that she will ride her horse with me. I immediately tell her that I'm still stuck in a slow walk - but that's no matter to her, she'll walk right along with me. Well, how can I back out now? So I swallow the ball of fear in my throat (which settles quite nicely and solidly in my belly, thank-you-very-much!) and begin to tack up my horse. This may be only the third or fourth time I've ever tacked up a horse completely on my own - and definitely the first time in over a year.

It takes me a bit longer to get ready and L is already out in the dressage arena by the time I get out there. Another teenager was trotting and cantering around that particular arena so I decided to begin my ride in the round pen by myself; a second adult rider then joins L and the teenager, and she understands my hesitation to go out there. I'm still not sure enough to leave the controlled environment of the round pen. Everyone needs a security blanket at times!

Zoe and I did just fine together. I think I'm getting more consistent in letting her know what I want and she's figuring out what my pullings and pushings mean. :) I had to get off once to tighten the girth and Zoe was very quiet and patient during the whole process. At one point in our ride, she did start to trot so I slowed her back to a walk; the trot was easy to sit for those few steps she took, but it needs to be my idea, not hers! In the end, I spent about 40 minutes in the round pen walking with my horse.

Throughout the ride various barn residents would call out encouragement. It was really sweet. L stated that we need to get a pattern together and ride the doubles class in the fair next year - our horses are almost identical in size and coloring. I laughed since I'm not sure I'll be cantering by then. Several people assured me that yes, I would be!

See, I've become the barn project. And I'm quite happy.

No comments: