Sunday, August 22, 2010

Horse-filled day

What a busy day! I started off with a 6 mile walk (14:30 pace) up the Mill Creek trail. I actually get energized by my morning walks, so that was a great way to begin today. Once home, I prodded E out of bed so we could make it to the barn by 10:00. I had a "date" with C to ride Zoe and I wasn't going to be late for nothing!

C pulled out one of her Western saddles to try on Zoe; it actually fit fairly well so I felt a little more comfortable/safe getting on her back today. Zoe was patient as I put on her tack - I bet it's the first time I've done this in about a year. I led her into the round pen and C held her while I got up, but really, she stood quite still on her own.

I spent about 30 minutes just walking with her, getting a feel for her movement and learning how to turn, stop, move over and back up. Zoe was very good for me, only spooking a little bit when we got near the side of the pen that has a tree (wind was blowing this morning). My hesitancy probably didn't help her get over her own fears, but we managed.

After my 30 minutes, C got on to see what skills Zoe actually has. She was so impressed with the smoothness of Zoe's trot and also found her canter nice. Zoe didn't offer to kick-out today when asked to go faster; not sure what the reason is, but happy she didn't act out. The horse spooked a little more significantly while C was riding, but it wasn't anything I wouldn't be able to control once I have a few more skills myself. At the end of her ride, C said, "Go write a check for this girl!" Obviously, she enjoyed Zoe. :)

The afternoon was spent preparing for E's D-2 rating and then actually completing the rating. She passed with flying colors, managing a few "exceeds standards" in the riding portion of the test. To help make sure Monte was ready, E has been riding him daily since Thursday; she didn't want a repeat of the star-gazing pony she rode during Hot August Nights!

Congratulations E!

It's back to work for me tomorrow, and then fair preparations begin in earnest. I think our horse time is going to be seriously encroached upon. I'm hoping we can squeeze in some fun rides, though. Crossing my fingers right now! :)

No comments: