Sunday, November 18, 2007

Curly's fed up....

Curly was incredibly uncooperative yesterday when we tried to clean up his hoof. He's always been a bit difficult whenever we have tried to pick his hooves, but I think he is beginning to reach new levels of stubbornness. Every time I asked for his back right hoof he would lift his back left. I know that he is in some pain and really dreads wound cleaning time, but it has to be done!

After about 40 minutes, E. and I were finally able to do a halfway decent job. Mud had gotten into the boot, so he was a mess. I didn't get all the mud off his hoof, just a major portion. We also discovered a spot just above his hoof in the fur that has been rubbed a bit raw - just like when we get blisters from our shoes, really. So I decided to use the duct tape bandage inside the boot to prevent more rubbing and to hopefully help the boot fit better.

I am concerned that a portion of his hoof (the back, heel part) is too damp and consequently getting soft and a bit swollen. I'm not sure what to do about this, though, because EVERYTHING is wet and muddy now. Yesterday was the official opening day of the "suck your boots off" portion of mud season. I am actually looking forward to "frozen mud season" now.

No comments: